Friday 3 May 2013

A Author Review - Patricia Cornwell.

Hi,
Today i wanted to do a author review on one of my favorite authors, Patricia Cornwell. I am currently reading Port Mortuary book 18 in the Kay Scarpetta Series. I still have Red Mist to read and i am waiting for Bone Bed to come out in paperback.
I started reading Patricia Cornwell books beginning of this year (2013) in the series order and i have enjoyed all of them. I will say you don't have to read them in order as things that have happened in past books do get explained a little in the more recent books, so you are never left wondering what it is on about, but to really get in to the series i would reccomend reading in the order they were written.
The book order:
Postmortem.
Body of Evidence.
All That Remains.
Cruel and Unusual.
The Body Farm.
From Potters Field.
Cause of Dealth.
Unnatural Exposure.
Point of Origin.
Black Notice.
The Last Precinct.
Blow Fly.
Trace.
Predator.
Book of the Dead.
Scarpetta.
The Scarpetta Factor.
Port Mortuary.
Red Mist.
Bone Bed.
Having read 17 books of Patricia Cornwell's i can honestly say she is in my top 5 of favorite authors. I like the way she writes, as is it very intelligent, you learn many things from Patricia and i love how each book captures you. I haven't been able to put any of her books down and have enjoyed each book in it's own unique way. I will say some books are better than others and some are based more just on the characters more than the actual murders and investigations. I can relate to each character in certain ways and love how they each have their own personalities. I would reccommend everyone to read at least one of The Scarpetta series, others who like Kathy Reichs or Tess Gerristen tend to enjoy Patricia Cornwell also. The first of the books was written 1990 and in todays world is a bit behind on the times with DNA and such, but each book becomes more and more up to date.
The only a few things i didn't like about the Kay Scarpetta series was, the ending of some of the books were a little quick, as in you found out Joe Bloggs was the Killer and the end!(Joe Bloggs hasn't been a killer so far so no spoilers from me). Also some things that happen to characters when they nearly die or fall out it never goes in to the incident, I know they are crime/thriller stories but to add real life arguements into the mix or how someone feels about a certain illness or accident would really make the books all that more "real life".  Lastly i would prefer it if you got to guess who the killer was in all of the books instead of just some, Eg The Scarpetta Factor towards half way you get a feeling who the killer is and little hints and tips that help you along the way. Other than the minor points i just mentioned, i loved these books. 9.5 out of 10 for author rating. If you would like me to do a more in depth review on each individual book i will be happy to do so, just let me know.
Thank you for reading
Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment